Friday, February 9, 2007

urban landscapes

In the following pictures you can see different "landscapes" found in Tirana.
The first one shows how crazy is the density of buildings.



In the second one, you can see what is usually in every roof: lots of water tanks. I don't know exactly why and how, but the water system forces to have tanks and pumps in every house in order to get always running water... and this is the panorama from my balcony!



This is a beautiful building in the Bllok area, close to my office, painted with many colors. In Tirana colored buildings became famous! You can find them often: some of them I like, other not so much...



In Tirana I didn't find McDonalds and I am very happy about it! This is the Albanian version: it's called M Kolonat because is located behind marble columns in Fascist architecture style...



Solar thermal collectors for domestic water heating is not so popular, but I guess it's more spread than in Rome! Obviously here the motivation and convenience to put them is more evident since all the water heating systems are electric and electricity network is not reliable here. UNDP will start, I hope soon, a project to develop the market of solar water heating!



And this is the big park in Tirana, the green area with an artificial lake too, where people can relax, walk, run, play, fish... I like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very impressive photos you have. thanks